ATOM is supported by WIT (Workforce Industry Training) members for (school district to determine group – we recommend elementary/middle school) students. The ATOM Program provides WIT members an opportunity to give back by interacting with and mentoring young elementary and middle school students – engaging them in academic activities that impassion these students to stay focused on a strong STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) path. Both WIT and ATOM members thoroughly enjoy this opportunity. These students are able to meet with each other and share the challenges of being successful students. Members are able to participate in a wide range of activities that have varied from making Christmas cards for our U.S. troops, playing math and science vocabulary bingo, studying and tutorial activities, robotics competition preparation, and SOS (Science on Saturday) engagement. ATOM creates a spark that ignites a unique collaborative, nurturing relationship between older and younger students interested in pursuing STEM.
The program is a year-long commitment between the WIT member mentor and an ATOM mentee.
ATOM Mentor Program Goals
- Increase students’ sense of self-worth
- Improve students’ perspective toward STEM education
- Help students develop and define short-term and long-term goals
- Encourage social awareness through community service projects
- Build positive relationships and support networks with adults and peers